First Aid Training
Information about Scouts First Aid training requirements can be found here.
The minimum level of First Aid required is known as First Response (Module 10A – Theory and 10B – Practical). You will not be deemed ‘compliant’ until you have completed both parts of the training and Module 10A needs to be completed prior to attending Module 10B.
A higher level (known as a Full First Aid certificate) is required for some adventurous activities. Further details can be found here.
How do I complete my training?
In Jersey there are different options to complete your First Response Training.
You can attend face to face courses for both Modules 10A and 10B. For more information, dates and how to book please refer to the Training Calendar.
Complete your learning in a blended approach. South Yorkshire Scouts have kindly agreed to support Jersey Scouts with this provision with the benefit of independent E-learning hosted by Hampshire Scouts.
To complete Module 10A you must:-
- Complete the independent E-learning, hosted by Hampshire Scouts, first. This will take approximately 2.5 hours, which teaches you all the relevant information. It includes videos, fact sheets and quizzes. On completion of the course, you will be directed to complete a form which will be sent to the County. (Ensure that you select South Yorkshire Scouts). The link to the e-learning can be followed here: https://hampshire-scouts.thinkific.com/courses/firstresponse
- Then attend and participate in a facilitated session (Zoom), approximately 2.5 hours. This comprises different activities to consolidate the learning. See the South Yorkshire events page for dates.
Please note you need to complete the First Response independent E-learning first and then attend a facilitated Zoom session to complete Module 10A.
Following your completion of Module 10A you must then attend a short practical validation session that covers DRABC and CPR to complete Module 10B and your First Response training. This is a 15-20 minute practical session. For dates and how to book please refer to the Training Calendar.
I have an existing qualification, does it count?
There are several external qualifications which cover similar content, which can be compared against the syllabus.
All first aid training must cover the below criteria. The level of detail and time spent on each subject will vary, depending on whether it is a First Response or Full First Aid course.
- Principles of first aid and initial response (arriving and managing an incident)
- Initial response to a first aid situation
- Management of an unconscious casualty (child or adult)
- CPR, including technique for children and an explanation of what AED is and how to use it
- Fractures (ambulance imminent and non-imminent) and sprains
- Head injuries
- Dental incidents
- Heart Attack
- Sepsis / Meningitis
My professional qualification means I have a First Aid qualification.
The Scouts recognises that some professions by the nature of the job will have a first aid element; for example, Nurses, Midwives, Police Officers, Medical Practitioners, Members of HM Armed Forces, Ambulance Care – Assistants/Paramedics/Technicians, etc. to exempt these professions from undergoing more first aid training, they are required to provide evidence of an up-to-date qualification which should meet the criteria for what is considered our minimum standard (as listed above). With regards to ‘evidence’, this can be a certificate or an official letter confirming the necessary areas have been met.
E-learning conversion modules
If you have an in-date work place first aid qualification you can undertake a short conversion course provided by Hampshire Scouts to cover all of the First Aid criteria required by Scouts.
First Aid at Work https://hampshire-scouts.thinkific.com/courses/fawconversion
Emergency First Aid at Work https://hampshire-scouts.thinkific.com/courses/efawconversion
Paediatric First Aid https://hampshire-scouts.thinkific.com/courses/childfirstaidconversion
Royal Yachting Association https://hampshire-scouts.thinkific.com/courses/RYAconversion
By completing the relevant course above this will allow you to validate Module 10A and 10B (as per the date on your first aid certificate). Please email a copy of your certificate and the google form that you will complete at the end of the course to [email protected]